Inc. 500 Ranks Scentsy the No. 1 fastest-growing consumer products and services company in the country in the 2010 edition of the Inc. 500 list, published by Inc. magazine. Overall, Scentsy was No. 19 on the prestigious list of the fastest-growing private companies in America. This was the first time Scentsy nominated itself for the list. Incredibly, the company grew at an even higher rate during the previous three-year period (2005-2008).
Heidi ThompsonSo what are they? Scentsy  is a rapidly growing party plan company offering a variety of scented, wickless candles heated in decorative ceramic candle warmers. Formed in 2004 by Orville and Heidi Thompson in a sheepfarm, 6 years back, Orville recollects it wasn’t easy getting here. It was their  last-ditch effort to avoid bankruptcy to pull through the advertising campaign for their family run car-wax business which cost them their last $50,000 and  brought in $60 worth sales!

A frequent visitor and participant at tradeshows, Orville who was fascinated by this innovative wax candles opposite his stall got the rights in lieu of his game controller which he sold to them,  took the products home to Heidi, who now admits she planned to toss them into the pile of other products Orville was fond of bringing home for her to evaluate for Event Sales. The products never made it to the pile of discards. Instead, Heidi fell in love with them. And the rest is history.
Scentsy’s success can be attributed to a simple but compelling product line available through more than 70,000 independent consultants that sell the scented candles at home parties, through catalog or basket parties as well as online, more on the lines of Tupperware. Before you snigger,  also know that it brought  US $ 178.4 Million in 3 years.
What began in 2004 in a 40-foot ocean container on a small sheep farm is now an international company headquartered in Meridian, Idaho, with more than 70,000 current independent sales Consultants in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam and Canada.

Here is a little bit of insight into what goes into making Scentsy a phenomenon in US Consumer Products.
YouTube Preview Image

Tags: , ,

Comments

14 Responses to “Heidi Thompson’s wickless-candles get her US $ 178.4 Million in 3 years and becomes US’ fastest growing consumer products company”

1. Norma Boushey January 19, 2011 at 12:54 am #

I am so proud to be a consultant for this company. Just returned from a Leadership cruise to the Bahamas. Fabulous training!

2. corey triplett January 19, 2011 at 10:03 am #

Can you say “awesome”?

3. Dee Duryee-Bird January 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

Scentsy is truely an amazing company! Heidi and Orville Thompson are two of the most genuine, compassionate, people I have ever had the privledge to know. I have blessed by Scentsy and am so glad that I became a Scentsy Independent Consultant!

4. Andrea Smith January 20, 2011 at 2:10 am #

Scentsy has been a huge blessing in my friend’s family’s lives!
    I love being a part of this company!

5. Sonya Gibson Menefee January 21, 2011 at 4:27 am #

How do we say thank You to all of the people(Cara, Collette, Orville and Heidi and founding consultants) who had their hand in making this company the amazing company it is. You have given all of us the opportunity to change our lives and everyone elses that chooses to pursue a scentsy career. You are both the perfect example of Humility, Giving and Generosity ! thanks for all of your hard word, trials and tribulations to make our company what it is. Perserverance is the key to any successful company, Compassion and Generosity usually arent ! Scentsy is making its mark on the Direct Sales Industry, One customer and One consultant at a time!! We as consultants experience something totallly Unique when we Gather at a corporate event. The Inspiration we give to each other is irreplacable . This cannot be replicated and is what sets us apart and makes us unique from other companies !! We love You !!!

6. Scentsy Gal January 25, 2011 at 11:37 pm #

It just gets better & better!!! Europe here we come!!! :D

7. Krissy McLemore February 5, 2011 at 9:04 am #

I joined this company a year and a half ago and I love Scentsy more today than when I first started! thank you Orville and Heidi for making Scentsy what it is…

8. Sarah Pargeon April 12, 2011 at 10:03 am #

I love being a consultant! I thank my sister for introducing me to the product and wish all of the consultants the best of luck in this career!

9. Jacqueline Boone June 25, 2011 at 9:38 am #

What an amazing year this has been (6/10 to 6/11)! When the economy really took a downturn almost 2 years ago my regular business suffered tremendously. When 1 door closes, God opens another! Truly thankful that after the 3rd time the Scentsy opportunity came across my path, I decided to walk through the door of the opportunity. As a single Mom I can say Scentsy IS truly a blessing! For me it was the right opportunity at the right time in my life. My team and upline is amazing and so giving and willing to help. Thank you Orville and Heidi for your leadership and caring hearts…most of all, I thank you for ‘swinging for the fence’. :)

10. Karen McNay July 25, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

I’m so very excited to see Scentsy his the U.K. and feeling very proud to be one of the first consultants here. From humble beginnings in the U.S. and I hope to follow this path in this country and make it the success I know it’s going to be here. Hooray for a bit of financial freedom doing something FUN.

11. Tor Antonsen September 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Hello!

I am prepared to open the Norwegian market for the Scentsy line of products!!!!

Regards Tor ( monarchcap@gmail.com , +47 94187090 (cell))

12. Alison Hannah September 5, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

I liked it in the States, so I bought some, I loved it in my house, so I hosted a party, I moved to the UK & craved it…..so I became an Independent UK Consultant. If you want to see the products we all love so much go to https://sensescents.scentsy.co.uk and you’ll see just why its so popular in the USA & now in the UK. It really does make scents.

13. Tara Peisley May 4, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

I am so grateful for Heidi Thompson. This business has changed my life for the better. I am a stronger person because of Scentsy. I’ve done so many things that I didn’t know that I could do.